NTD Professional Web Design and Production

Lewes Forum thread.

Bluebell Woods

On Fri 30 Apr at 9:18am Bluebell wrote:
    Where are the best woods near Lewes for Bluebells? I don't want to have to pay!!
  • 2   1
    On Fri 30 Apr at 9:31am Down and Out wrote:
    Tightwad!

There's a big bluebell clearing at the top of Stanmer Park. Go in either via the car park off Ditchling Road or the car park off Coldean Lane; not the main entrance near the A27.
    On Fri 30 Apr at 10:25am Ed Can Do wrote:
    I think you'll find that picking wild flowers is illegal too.
    On Fri 30 Apr at 10:42am Bluebell wrote:
    Since when did I say I was going to pick them?? I just want to see them..
    One thing I've noticed about this forum is you can't ask a simple question without getting A) abuse, B) sarcastic replies, C) an argument started.
    On Fri 30 Apr at 10:50am Down and Out wrote:
    Bluebell - you started it! If you come on here and make a public issue of the fact that you don't want to pay a couple of quid for a sodding car park somewhere, it's not unreasonable to expect abuse. If you're that skint, look up some photos of bluebells on Flickr and save your shoe leather.
  •      
    On Fri 30 Apr at 12:26pm Ed Can Do wrote:
    Sorry, I assumed you meant you didn't want to pay to buy any. It never crossed my mind that someone would object to paying for parking. The woods round Barcome are generally rotten with Bluebells, they are in fact known as the Bluebell Woods. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a side street to park for free in the village or you could walk out there from Lewes in an hour or so.
  • 1   1
    On Fri 30 Apr at 12:37pm jrsussex wrote:
    Bluebell 10.42 post - You've hit the nail on the head. A and B are often quite humorous whilst C is usually thought provoking and allows you to air your views. As none of us have met (have we?) I don't think anybody is intentionally trying to have a go, it's all part of the wind-up. I think it's great fun, I often sit in front of the monitor laughing. I've sus out the comedians, won't name them but their humour is spot on. Happy bluebell hunting but it is a mean about the car parking.
    On Fri 30 Apr at 12:51pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
    Now jrsussex was the parking comment an A) or a B)?
  •      
    On Fri 30 Apr at 1:36pm Bluebell wrote:
    ???
  •      
    On Fri 30 Apr at 2:36pm MC wrote:
    I picked some wild daffodils from the Barcombe woods the other day. I really can't believe I committed an offence. Saying that, my son and I recently caught three wild newts in a pond in the Barcombe woods and moved them to our garden pond. Someone then told me that this was illegal too. If both are true it's all getting a bit daft. It'll be illegal to move frog spawn next (perhaps it already is!).

Question: Are the bluebells round her (and esp in Barcombe) the natural English ones of are they the more robust invasive Spanish species?
  •      
    On Fri 30 Apr at 2:58pm Mark wrote:
    There are usually some fantastic bluebells in the woods going up to The Hooke in South Chailey. Walk up the long track leading from the A275 to the Hooke and at the top of the hill branch off on the path to the left.
    On Fri 30 Apr at 3:08pm Andrew Richardson wrote:
    There used to be loads in Nate Wood, just off Robin Post Lane near Arlington. There's a shared cycle/walkers route through there and there were loads of Bluebells when I went through there last spring.
  •      
    On Fri 30 Apr at 5:07pm jr wrote:
    'ere be monsters - A spoonful of B with just a pinch of humour (I hope)!!!
  •      
    On Fri 30 Apr at 7:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
    There are lots in Abbots Wood, too.
  •      
    On Fri 30 Apr at 9:25pm DrTrickCyclist wrote:
    Knowlands Wood just north of Barcome opens in Bluebell season.
  •      
    On Fri 5 Feb at 12:25pm Old cynic wrote:
    Spanish bluebells are large, pale blue and very upright you can pick these without worrying butvthey don't last. English bluebells are much smaller, a darker blue and the heads droop. It is illegal to pick them as they are a, sadly, rare species. It is illegal to move newts as thy too are increasingly rare. Hopefully the ones you moved into your pond are male AND female so they might just survive. I hope the habitat you have put them in is suitable?
  •      
    On Sun 2 May at 11:13pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
    it's all very well naming the woods, but where are they - some sort of grid/ os reference would be good !!!!
  •      
    On Sun 18 May at 7:55pm Bluebellsearch wrote:
    Hey all, I'd like to bring this thread back up if I may - does anybody know a local place where bluebells are out now please? Don't want to ride out to one of the above to find there aren't any!... Many thanks.

The Lewes forum is now closed to new posts

Closet and Botts
NTD Web Design Lewes

@ The Horns Lodge

10 different ciders and perries and 12 varieties of sausage will be on offer...

@ All Saints Centre

Beautiful hand-drawn animation about a tyranical king chasing a Shepherdess who's...

@ The Con Club

Cave and Waits inspired swamp blues, from two members of the hugely popular Brighton band. 3 - 5 pm....

@ All Saints Centre

Lewes Town Council presents a concert to commemorate World War 1 Devised by Helen Glavin...

@ Lewes Rugby Club

Harlequins are coming to Lewes to run another of their...

@ Wallands Primary School

A three day Musical Theatre Course for 6-11yrs. Participants...

@ Charleston

Monday 27 & Tuesday 28 October “The house was always a heavenly place for children. It was a...

@ Other venue

Kids learn to build and program football-playing robots using...

@ Charleston

Monday 27 & Tuesday 28 October “The house was always a heavenly place for children. It was a...

@ Artworks Garden Studio

Join us in creating fantastic animal masks/headpieces

@ Other venue

Follow in the tracks of the Curiosity Rover and search for...

@ Artworks Garden Studio

Try your hand at weaving, we have beautiful yarns and a...

@ Christs Church Hall

Talk and discussion led by Dr Andrew Buxton - The changing faces of public art

@ All Saints Centre

Lewes Live Lit presents Zones Of Avoidance Winner of The Ted Hughes Award for New Work in...

@ Artworks Garden Studio

Today we show you how to create your own accordion fold out...

@ All Saints Centre

Open afternoon by LGB Brass training band giving an opportunity...

@ The Lewes Arms

Open mic poetry with MC Ollie Wilson. Special guest poet and local comedian Phil Lucas. All welcome to...

@ Artworks Garden Studio

Day of the Dead.......drawing, painting, collaging....it's all...

@ Lewes Town Hall

Lewes Concert Orchestra give their Autumn concert. They will play: - Overture 'The Wasps' -...

@ The Con Club

Full House are one of the busiest and best sounding rock bands in the South East, with leading guitarist's...

@ Charleston

For one night only, the creepy and cavernous Charleston Barns belong to you. Master of the...

@ Other venue

Author and children's designer Madeleine Rogers presents her new...

@ All Saints Centre

The story of four young men from the wrong side of the tracks in New Jersey who came together to form...

@ The Con Club

A welcome return for Sussex's top rock and roll band. The Catfish Kings feature blazing saxophones,...

@ The Elephant and Castle

Moirai are Jo Freya (Saxophones, whistles, bass clarinet, vocals) ,Sarah...

@ The Elephant and Castle

Moirai are Jo Freya (Saxophones, whistles, bass clarinet, vocals) ,Sarah...

@ Other venue

An opportunity for us to deepen or rediscover our natural fascination with the world...

@ Other venue

Take a 90 minute tour round historic Lewes and find out about its...

@ Other venue

@ Other venue

@ The Con Club

From London and first time playing at the Club, Gaz plays acoustic Folk / Rock covers from the 1970's to...

@ St Michaels Church

Darryl Noel Davila (Clarinet) and Jenny Sturt (Cello)...

@ All Saints Centre

Pinkie Brown is a small-town hoodlum whose gang runs a protection racket based at Brighton race...

@ All Saints Centre

Biography of Mohandas K. Gandhi, the lawyer who became the famed leader of the Indian revolts...

@ Other venue

The Priory formerly Our Lady’s Priory School and in more recent years was a restaurant is being re-opened...
Add your Event